Thursday, March 3, 2016

Addiction is REAL


Are you addicted to social media? I know for a fact that I have gone through stages of addiction. I catch myself falling into the routine of checking social media more than five times a day. When I realize I'm addicted again, I slowly stop myself from checking my phone as often. I can honestly say that I think social media addiction is a problem. I can't walk from class to class without seeing at least three people with their faces in their phones. Almost every day I get stuck behind someone who is walking slowly because they're texting and not paying attention. I watch people get food from the ram's den and they are texting, or on social media when they are waiting in line. During lunch and dinner I look around and see that more than half of the population are on their phones, rather than interacting with their friends. I found a quiz online that can help someone determine if they're addicted to social media, here are some questions you can ask yourself:
1.What's the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning?
2. How often do you take a picture of your meal and share it on social media?
3. How often do you check social media?
4. How often do you check social media when watching a movie or tv?
5. Has your partner/best friend/ mom ever complained that you spend more time on your phone than you do talking to them?
6. When something funny or bad happens what's one of the first things you do?
7. How often do you take selfies or snapchat?
8. Do you know how many friends/followers you have on social media?
9. Do you do things purposely to get more likes/favorites on social media?
10. What do you do before you go to bed?
If your answers to these questions have anything to do with social media or cell phones then you may have an addiction problem.

5 comments:

  1. The social media “epidemic” is becoming more and more widespread. I feel that many people these days are “addicted” to social media. Even me. The first thing I do in the morning is look at my phone, and now that it’s broken, I don’t know what to do with myself. It’s become a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like some of my close friends are addicted to social media. They can't even get through a dinner without looking at their phones or showing someone something on their phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can agree that at times I feel like I am addicted to social media. Once I check one site I feel like I have to check the rest of them because I don't want to take the chance that I could be missing something big. When I feel like it's becoming a bigger problem then I try to take a step away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know a lot of people who are addicted to social media. It gets on my nerves when I am having a really important conversation with someone or just want to spend quality time with them and they won't stop looking at their devices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do what I can to be sure to not get too attached to social media. You're definitely right when you say that people on their phones slow down our daily lives, whether its walking to our next class or in conversation.

    ReplyDelete