Friday, March 11, 2016

Sleep and Technology

One thing I noticed since I got my job is there is a lot of technology used for assisting people who have issues sleeping. For example, my whole family has sleep number beds because of our back issues and normal bed do not have the best softness, or hardness. Luckily with those beds each of us can change how soft the bed is. My parents' bed even has it so my mom's side can be different than my dad's, giving both of them the most comfort possible.
Also my dad has sleep apnea. So he has this machine designed to help him breathe while he sleeps. Without this my dad could possibly stop breathing in his sleep and never wake up. (He also would snore quite loudly which no one wants.) 
I even use an app that monitors my sleeping sometimes because I have issues with sleeping. The app manages to track my sleep cycle in order to tell me how long I actually am in deep sleep throughout the night and when I wake up in the middle of the night, which happens quite often.
I never really thought about how much technology there is available for assisting me to sleep until this class...

1 comment:

  1. One major concern I have with sleeping apps that "track your sleeping habits" is, Are they accurate whatsoever? I don't particularly feel comfortable with my phone being in my bed with me while I sleep (because why do you need technology that close during the one time of day you can ENTIRELY escape it), let alone having something other than a professional track anything that goes on with my body. I feel like the apps make stuff up so that people will continue to use them, but that might just be me being skeptical.

    ReplyDelete