Thursday, March 31, 2016

FBI Breaks Into iPhone

As I'm sure many of you have heard, the FBI managed to break into the iPhones of the San Bernardino shooters recently without the help of Apple. Apple is probably pretty upset about this, but Apple isn't who I'm curious about right now; you all are. What do you all think about the FBI now being able to break into the iPhones of civilians? When you think about it, the government and the police have been looking through the information on people's computers for years, and no one really bats an eye.

So what is so drastically different about a smart phone in comparison to a computer? Why do you think so many Americans are upset about the government and the police now being able to break into password-protected phones, but don't seem to protest when the same people go through a suspect's or victim's computer? To be clear, I am not defending the FBI or claiming that the fact that they were able to break into someone's iPhone is okay. Personally, I haven't quite figured out where I stand on this issue, and I'm especially interested to know what the class thinks about this topic.

Do you think the police and the government have the right to break into the phones of criminals or suspects to learn more? If so, under what circumstances should the police and the government be allowed to do so? If not, what are your issues with the government and the police having this ability?

5 comments:

  1. I think they should only be allowed to break into a suspect’s/victim’s phone as long as the victim or suspect gives them the go ahead. And if they are incapacitated, then a relative or next of kin should be able to make that decision. I don’t think it is right that they can look into any sort of device as they please, may it be computer or smartphone. But I know they are just doing their jobs. I feel as if I’m on the fence about this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as they are doing it for the good of America and as long as they do not abuse their power (which they probably have and will) I think that it is alright for the government to hack criminals' phones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Dani, I am just not certain how I feel about this issue. I understand the points on both sides, but this doesn't strike me as nearly as clear-cut as other hot-button topics. (For instance, should we torture to gain intelligence? No. Never. Again--my opinion.) I did watch Citizen Four, the movie about Edward Snowden, which is really fascinating, but I still don't know how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand using people's phones as evidence but I believe a warrant or permission from the owner. Hacking into someone's phone is unjust and unlawful. It is a violation of privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca: that's not what this is about. These phone owners are dead. When you are dead (and a criminal), expectations of privacy are...well, different. And it's not about warrants, either. It's much more complicated.

    ReplyDelete