Wednesday, March 23, 2016

The Death of two Family Dogs

I lost both of my dogs within the last three month. The first dog we had to put down was 14 years old, and he went down hill really quickly, so his death was a shock to my family and I. Right away my Mom had posted pictures on Instagram and Facebook. I thought this was strange because I was too upset about his death that night to even think about posting anything. I did post something online the next day. Then a few months later we had to put down my other dog. We put her down over my spring break. A few hours after we put her down and buried her my Mom had already posted on Facebook and had gotten 50 likes. My Dad was disgusted by the fact that my Mom had already posted pictures online. I can see from his point of view but I can also see from my Mom's point of view. Maybe because of technology and social media those types of behaviors are acceptable? It could be a new coping mechanism? I want to hear everyone else's opinion.

5 comments:

  1. I've never really been one to post online about loss and grieving. Although I know many people post things specially just to get some support. It's almost like the comments and uplifting messages help more than those who are actually there in person who are going through the same loss you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you are right. The rise in technology and social media has given us a new form of coping mechanism because it allows us to post pictures and immediately get responses back. So posting a picture of your dog and instantly getting 50 likes, really could’ve been a way for your mom to somehow feel better because at least 50 people are telling her they are out there somewhere, they know what she’s going through, and are there for her. Ultimately, this could be a good thing, because it lets you know that you are loved, but when it gets to the point where you are on it every day, all the time, then it becomes a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it could be helpful for your mom to see comments like "Thinking about you!" or "I'm so sorry for your loss. It brings in more outpouring of kind words and support than she would've gotten had she not posted those pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on the same page as Casey here. I've never posted anything online about loss or grieving, but I do know people that find comfort in using social media to cope. I can see the appeal in the support you can receive from posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure your mother was not trying to be mean or rude at all when she posted your dogs on social media. People just have different ways to make themselves feel better when they are grieving. I would personally rather not talk about what is making me sad, but to each their own.

    ReplyDelete