Friday, April 1, 2016

The Case of the Unsure Author

My last blog post asked you guys if I should look at more than four groups of people that fandoms influence. Specifically the Sherlock fandom. Today, however, as I was rereading my thesis, I realized that I just wanted to focus on two of those four groups that I picked out. The two I want to focus on are the LGBTQ community and those who have developmental issues. The reason for this, is because I think I can write more than four pages on both of these topics because they are so broad. But I’m not sure if this is a good idea or not. The drawback of narrowing it to two groups is that I’m not certain I’ll get eight whole pages from them. If I stick with all four of the groups, it would give me two pages for each category and I’ll only be able to gloss over the issues of each; however, I know all four groups will give me eight pages. So which should I do? 

4 comments:

  1. The more focused it is, the better it will be to read in my opinion. If you focus on a smaller number of groups, you can go into a lot more detail and you may end up covering more pages than you think you will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's about the number of pages then the four topics would be the way to go, but that's not what I would advise. I think that the two topics you have are really great but they are also broad, so you could get more out of them than you might originally think. I feel like your paper would be better if you just stuck with the two you were really passionate about and went in depth with those instead of briefly scratching the surface on four really broad topics. In the end it's up to you though, but I'm here to help if you need it! Like Travis said, you might get more out of it than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice from Travis and Haleigh here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great title for this post, too. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete