Friday, April 1, 2016

Insight to Mood Disorders

In one of our classes last week we briefly mentioned an article published on Upworthy where college student created a photo series called “My Anxious Heart.” I can’t remember why it was brought up, but it sounded very interesting to me so I went back to my dorm and took a look at her work.

The photographers name is Katie Crawford and she is a student suffering from two mood disorders, anxiety and depression. She wanted to give others the chance to understand the weight that so many people bear with this illness, by compiling the photo series.

The pictures themselves speak loudly enough without words, even though she does give an explanation. There is a picture where she has wrapped herself in plastic wrap, and it covers everything up to right under her nose. This picture is supposed to symbolize the fact that she cant breath, and that she feels like she is suffocating all the time.

Psychological disorders usually begin by early adulthood, and with added stressors like college and working you can see how likely it is for someone you know to have a mood disorder. I think that this photo series is a really great thing because it gives you a chance to see how someone with a psychological disorder feels, although everyone has their own experiences. So many people suffer from anxiety and depression and I think that this article will give everyone a little bit of insight on the mood disorders.

 Here’s the article if you guys want to check it out: http://www.upworthy.com/12-grave-photos-that-capture-how-depression-and-anxiety-can-feel

3 comments:

  1. Wow, those are some really powerful pictures. I can definitely see how a psychological disorder can come from school and work. Its a lot of stress on one person. I'm glad you shared that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love these pictures. She truly captures what it's like to feel anxious and depressed, whether it be because of a chemical imbalance in one's brain or because of drowning in the daily hassles of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos are amazing and spot-on. I really enjoyed looking through the pictures and being able to relate to them, and it also helped me better understand a few of my friends who I know have really severe mood disorders.

    ReplyDelete