Thursday, April 21, 2016

Reunited...digitally

This morning I was telling my friend a story about something that happened back in high school between me and one of my classmates, who I was really close with before we graduated. Through most of junior and senior year, Paraag and I got to know each other really well. We texted almost every day after school. Between classes, we would make sarcastic comments as we passed in the hallways. And in class, the teacher often scolded us for laughing and causing distractions. All around, just a really good friend. Then graduation happened... I knew once college started that I'd lose touch with the majority of my high school friends, but I was super sad to not talk to him as often. Over the summer, we talked a little bit and went to each others grad parties, but still no where near the same as during the school year.

Before today, I hadn't talked to Paraag since about October or so. But since he came up in conversation, I figured I'd shoot him a text to see how school has been going for him at WVU and ask about his summer plans and whatnot. Just to catch up. His reaction to getting a random text from me was wonderful, and we settled right back into how things were before life got in the way for a bit. We're still catching up as I type this, and honestly it's hard to not wear a consistent smile.

With finals approaching and end-of-semester projects being due, there is a lot of stress piling up for all of us. I hear things like, "I'm just ready to go home," many times a day across campus. Everyone is worn out. But something as little as reuniting yourself with a friend, even if it's just over text, can boost the day up so much. You guys should contact someone, too, and see if it helps you to not feel so dang bogged down with school.

Good luck with finals week! Keep positive and stay smiling.

4 comments:

  1. I believe that technology is good for these reasons. It's always nice to connect with people that you wouldn't have been able to without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has inspired me. I know that when I am stressed I tend to ignore my friends problems. I need to be there for my friends that attend other colleges. I will reach out to them next week during their finals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my best friends lives in South Carolina now and she has gotten married and had a baby since she moved down there. If it weren't for technology, I wouldn't be able to keep updated on her life and see pictures of my nephew, I am an unofficial aunt. We don't text everyday because we both are busy but we still are connected. This is why I like technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think many people have the idea that others are supposed to reach out to them if they care, so people really don't bother to try and reconnect to others because they think they'll sound desperate. I recently messaged a friend of mine that I had texted and hung out with on and off to see when he would want to hang out, and he was really happy that I had taken the time to talk to him. Everyone is really busy during school so it's easy to forget that just by texting someone we can re-establish a connection.

    ReplyDelete