Friday, January 22, 2016

Don't get angry, you are spoiled.

With the increasing amount of dependence on technology in our everyday lives, we have began to gain this sense of privilege from technology. Next time you watch a video with people on YouTube and it buffers, or there is an ad, wait and listen to the comment that the others make. You will hear them become impatient and even angry, just from a few seconds of waiting. The best part of this is we are watching shorter and shorter videos. So we are waiting a couple of seconds just to show a video that is a couple of seconds. If you want to see more information on a study click here. With that aside, we are getting more short with all technology around us when it does not go the way we wanted. This is just from us seeing the evolution of technology, and the millennial ideal of self-centeredness. We are also more easily bored, so it takes more to keep us involved. We believe that our time is the most important thing we have, and anything that is mediocre or average is not deserving of it. These rapid developments have also spoiled us in to thinking that we are more deserving of something else, when in reality we are young and have time to spare, so we should be take a step back and just enjoy our life.

7 comments:

  1. I agree with this. I feel like a lot of my life is spent using technology. I find myself on my phone and laptop more and more the older I get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, some people will never be able to "step back and enjoy" their lives, and that is not the fault of technology. Certain people will always be pessimistic or impatient; that's just how they are. I don't think that humanity as a whole is becoming this way. There are just large amounts of impatient people in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's painful to watch how many people get antsy when their phone dies or they forget it at home. Most of my friends agree with me in that a few hours off the leash of your cell phone/instant contact with anyone in the world is a blessing. It allows us to appreciate what's happening around us without interruption. But like Travis said, there will always be people that cannot truly step away from their technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My parents who swear that they aren't attached to their phones get so anxious and annoyed when the wifi isn't working. It sometimes it is hard to watch them sit with their faces in their phones. Even my grandmother sits on her phone all day long playing candy crush and stalking people on Facebook. Thirty years ago, Im sure no one even could think about a portable phone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the fact that the more advanced technology becomes, the more impatient we are with it and the harder it is to capture and hold our attention. I think this impatience stems from the fact that we are always looking for the next “thrill”, the next advancement in technology that will allow us to continue our lives while working faster and harder to do as we want. I think because we keep our focus on the future and what it will help us accomplish, that we forget to live our lives here in the “now”, which is why we are becoming so impatient. We can’t wait that five minutes for the ad to finish because we are so focused with what we will get when the ad finally finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my opinion, the larger the company gets the more they will waste other people's time. I have been using YouTube for a long time and I have noticed that the larger they are becoming, the more frequently they are placing ads before videos. Some ads can't even be skipped, but I would recommend downloading ad blocker if you easily become frustrated with waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, and I think this involves the larger issue of impatience and a need for instant gratification, but I would argue that this mentality is not a result of growing up with technology or being a millennial. I have seen adults in their 30's 40's and 50's show more impatience with a buffering video or an advertisement than a teenager or a young adult. I would also say that we should not be derisive of people who value their own time and how it is spent--I personally think that that involves how people need to learn to value themselves as a person and see their own time as something of worth. On that note, please do not mistake that ideology for encouraging narcissism or being self-centered, everything in moderation.

    ReplyDelete