Friday, January 29, 2016

Kanye West: Our Generation's "OG," and Apparent Priority

I'm sure by now everyone in class has seen Kanye West's "fire" subtweet marathon supposedly directed at Wiz Khalifa. And it's precisely that which annoys me- why is it that the vast majority of our generation can repeat the tweets sent out by a celebrity, but would have trouble naming all the current presidential candidates? I understand that I'm a news and politics junkie, and that those topics aren't everyone's cup of tea. However, it seems silly to me that our priorities as a culture lean heavily towards celebrities’ subtweets and very far away from things like who the next person to lead our country might be.
I just wish that we as a culture were a little more balanced when it comes to our priorities. If we valued things that actually impact our daily lives as much as we value how much “shade” Kanye “threw” to another rapper over Twitter, I don’t think our generation would be nearly as apathetic as it seems to be. That’s not to say previous generations haven’t been apathetic as well; I know most recent generations struggled with having apathy towards politics and other similarly serious matters. But I have higher expectations for our generation when it comes to being better than the generations before us, and I think part of that improvement includes being aware of the things that truly impact us in society.

P.S. I promise that I’ll make a blog post that isn’t negative or has anything to do with my criticisms of our generation/culture/society sometime soon… probably.

4 comments:

  1. I do not use Twitter so the obsession over every celebrity's tweets never made sense to me. I tend to stay away from social media because I do not have the time to get sucked into someone's drama that I should not even know about. This generation is going to deal with many issues in the future because of sharing all their issues and drama online. As my parents always point out to me, future employers do indeed look at what we post. This generation's need to post all of the drama they see online tends to cause damage to our future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that our culture tends to pay more attention to pop culture and trivial things than it does to more important issues. However, I don't find it worrisome because this has always been the case. Young people are always engrossed in what the famous singers and movie stars are doing and saying, but our country still remains one of the best, humanity lives on, and the world still turns. Worrying about everyone else just brings you down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries: this didn't seem excessively negative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I have no knowledge of this feud...off to look it up!

    ReplyDelete