Friday, January 15, 2016

Foot in Mouth: A Tale of the Golden Globes

It has become apparent that Sherry Turkle and Jennifer Lawrence might be on the same page when it comes to technology.  As many news and media sources have reported, Jennifer Lawrence's scolding of an E! News reporter for being on his phone during an interview has caused a backlash on social media, some defending her statements and some accusing her of being 'rude' or 'entitled' for her words.  Personally, even though Jennifer's initial statement of "living in the now" lightened her original reprimand, her more snarky comment following the reporter's next question I believe was rude and showed a lack of class and tact. That being said, in Jennifer Lawrence's statement I saw a bit of irony because her scolding of media has caused such a backlash from the media. It reminded me of the TED talk we listened to in class where one bad statement causes a large response from multiple groups who typically would not have noticed or cared about the issue to begin with. Although no Twitter tags have been connected to the event (to my knowledge), it has been shared across other forms of social media like Facebook or Tumblr where people are beginning to draw lines in the sand as to if they support or condemn her actions, and I just find that very interesting.

2 comments:

  1. I wrote my post on the same topic, and even though we have different opinions on the incident I can see where you're coming from. I think that the snarky comments are just part of her usual personality. Also it seems to me that "snark comments" can be interpreted differently and maybe that is just the case here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good connection to the TED talk!

    ReplyDelete