Monday, January 25, 2016

Monday Snow Day: The new way to socialize

I chose to pick how this podcast relates to "Technology doesn't change us; it just changes the way we socialize." In this case the girls base how many comments and likes they get from Instagram to how good the picture is. They also think if you're best friends with them then you're obligated to comment on their picture.

This is hard for me to understand because I guess either I'm "too old" to understand the younger generations thinking on social media and the rules that apparently come with it or just that I don't view social media this way. For these girls it's all about how good you look to others. They get genuinely upset when a photo doesn't get two likes a second. I don't think that changes them, I just think it changes the way they socialize. Instead of caring about how they look to people in person they care about how they look to people online. The comments matter on their pictures more than the comments they get in person. 

I just don't see how their views matter on Instagram comments and likes. Wouldn't it mean more if someone told them they were pretty in person rather than just on their pictures? When someone does it in person it's creepy. They would rather have the comment because it makes them feel better about themselves. For them it's about the posts on Instagram not in person.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the whole Instagram thing, my cousins sit and watch their Instagram for likes on pictures they post. When they don't get enough likes they delete the picture then continue to post the same picture at a later time for more likes and comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points, Chelsea. It baffles me a bit, but I am even older than you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a sad fact that many people think it is creepy to receive compliments in person, but they will take as many comments as they can from people they don't particularly even know online.

    ReplyDelete