Friday, January 22, 2016

Phone Dystopia

I was at dinner with my friends this week. We normally eat dinner in the Dinning Hall’s basement because it’s so much quieter than upstairs. Well, I was looking down at my plate as conversation went on around me, but suddenly it stopped so I looked up to see why. I remember thinking that maybe everyone was eating at the same time, which is not something that happens often, or maybe someone had walked in, but the sight that met me looked something like this:


It was only for a moment, and then conversation picked back up again, but it made me think about how the younger generation is addicted to technology. It only takes one person for the wave of phone screens to begin flashing. Just one can start the domino effect of the rest of us checking our phones, as I found out when I watched my group of friends at the breakfast, lunch, and dinner tables. It’s quite shocking to realize that, even though we are all friends and have no problem talking to each other, we all go into our own worlds when we pull out our phones.

4 comments:

  1. I agree. I feel the same say. It seems like every time I go out with my friends this is the scene I'm looking at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly its sad because it isn't just our generations its older generations too. For example I catch my parents trying to check their phones at dinner, and its hard for me to pry the IPad or cell phone from my grandmothers hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with your post . I can't count the times that I'll be sitting with some friends for lunch or dinner and all of the sudden everyone has their phones out, completely ignoring each other, even if it is just for a second. I can't say that I have never done this myself, but I do think that it's becoming a bigger problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really interested in the idea that when one person does it, then others do it, too. It's not like that first person gives the rest permission, but more that the first person reminds the others that they CAN be on their phones. It's like when you think, "Hey, I haven't checked Facebook/email/etc. in a while" and you immediately do it.

    ReplyDelete