Monday, January 25, 2016

Monday Snow Day: It's All About MySelfie

As I was listening to the "Finding the Self in Selfie," even though I was very aggravated with the constant use of 'like' in order to describe events (thesauruses exist) I found that there was a lot of truth in what the girls were saying when it came to likes and comments, but I got a bit angry when they started talking about 'relevance.' In my own opinion, everyone is relevant in their own way, but the fact that they so easily said that they mattered, something in their tone made me think that they would bully someone that they did not see as 'relevant.' Now this may just be my own experiences with bullying coming back to haunt me, but I have a hunch that I'm right about their definition of 'relevance.' In addition, I found it funny that as a college student, the idea of 'relevance' is really not tossed around as much as it was in high school and middle school, so those girls are focusing on something that doesn't last past graduation. In college, football players are not treated differently by professors, girls aren't sent home for showing a collarbone (my goodness, the scandal!), and people who did their own thing in high school continue to do their own thing. I just found it ironic that something as silly as 'who is relevant' is so prevalent in middle and high school is irrelevant in college.

2 comments:

  1. That is interesting, Gabrielle! Things do change in lots of ways in college. But that doesn't mean they don't matter in high school. I am always sympathetic to young people when adults tell them, "This is only high school. It will get better" or "Wait until you have real problems." For kids, these *are* their real problem and their lives. I know that you aren't saying otherwise, of course. I am just teasing out the point a bit more. We can tell these girls that "relevance" is stupid, but for now, it's their world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you both! In middle school especially, fitting in seemed so important. High school came around and that pain lessened a lot, and now in college it's entirely gone. But girls such as the ones from the podcast don't yet have to experience "real life problems", so they're just focusing on what they know.

    ReplyDelete