Thursday, February 18, 2016

A Reflection on Hypocrisy

I’ve noticed recently how much I annoyed I become at the negativity I hear around me from friends, classmates, coworkers and family members. Then today, someone had a complaint about a professor I also complain about, and I thought to myself, "God, please shut up." When I realized that I also often complain about that same professor, I was uncomfortable with the thought that I might (gasp) be a hypocrite. Why do I reject negativity in others but find an excuse as to why my negative comments are justified?

This uncomfortable realization that I am a hypocrite made me wonder why others also have this tendency to dislike negativity in others, but excuse it in themselves. Many of my friends talk about how much they try to avoid negativity, when the reality is, they tend to dwell on negativity, too. Why do we condemn negativity and complaining in everyone else, but excuse it in ourselves? Furthermore, why do we tend to seek out negativity ourselves if it's not shoved in our faces by someone else?

4 comments:

  1. P.S.
    I know this post doesn't have anything to do with technology, but it's something that has really been on my mind lately, and I figured our blog was an appropriate place to raise this question. Also, yesterday's assigned chapter from Turkle's book had a lot of negativity in it, which was another instance that got me thinking about why we're drawn to negativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really understand your feelings on negativity, I'm not sure if people are more negative because of the weather, or just because they're miserable, but my friends and the family members that talk to me are constantly miserable and complain about everything. Which then make me react by negativity wanting to complain with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I complain all the time too, but I excuse myself because my complaining is "funny complaining" while other people's complaining is "annoying complaining." I realize that in reality, all complaining is annoying, but I like to make myself feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really interesting topic and discussion. I especially like Travis's idea about "funny complaining," because I tell myself I am doing the same thing! But like Dani, I find I want to get away from complaining people...and then I wonder if I am just as bad. Realizing that has made me do some good self-reflection, which isn't a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete