Thursday, February 11, 2016

Shepherdstown's Feeling the Bern

Tonight, I attended an Organizing Rally for Bernie Sanders at the Town Run Brewery in Shepherdstown. And honestly, it was pretty damn awesome. There were over 243 people who had RSVP’d as “attending” on Facebook, and while I’m not sure of the exact number of attendees, I can safely say there were definitely well over 200 people there tonight. The place was totally packed (the Town Run Brewery is the biggest space in Shepherdstown that isn’t on campus, by the way) and the energy was pretty insane.
After that, I went to the Debate Watch Party at the Opera House to cheer on my candidate, which was also a really fun time, despite the lack of a decent turnout. Basically, the whole point of this post is that I had a pretty inspiring night. While politics isn’t everyone’s “thing,” I think everyone likes and appreciates the idea that we actually have a say in what happens in our government, and going to Bernie’s Organizing Rally made me feel like I have a say in this election. It has been said that elections are scheduled, controlled revolutions, and I agree that some elections can definitely be like periodic, civilized revolutions. There was a time not too long ago when voting was a privilege reserved for the white, property-owning males, and the idea that it was a fundamental right of all citizens despite their race, religion, gender, or class status was a radical idea. Keeping that in mind, I will definitely be participating in our next scheduled revolution by casting my vote, and even if the elections don’t go as I had hoped, at least I can say that I took full advantage of my fundamental right to vote.


Also, here are some pictures of tonight's organizing rally.



6 comments:

  1. This is something that bothers me about voting: the people who don’t vote, yet still complain about whoever is elected into office. Sure our vote may not really get recognized, but, in my opinion, you shouldn’t be allowed to say anything about something you didn’t even participate in. I have friends who constantly dog Obama and other politicians, yet when I ask them if they are going to participate during elections, they say “Nah, our votes don’t count anyway.” Well, sure, that may be true, but you didn’t even try to make your country better, because you were lazy. So, if you don’t even try to make your voice heard, then you shouldn’t be able to dog one of the few political systems in the world that allows its citizens to state their own opinion without fear of injury or incarceration. Sorry for the rant, but it just really gets under my skin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't apologize! I enjoy political rants :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feel the Bern!! I've never particularly been into politics, but since I'll be able to vote this year I have been trying to follow the campaigns. It's all really interesting, and I'm loving all your posts about it lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bernie Sanders is the candidate that will receive my first ever vote, as his intelligence is absolutely amazing. He understands the concept of working together, which has been overlooked frequently throughout the development of this nation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is why I constantly argue for a more representative democracy rather than what we've got going on right now. If our votes actually made a difference with representation-like in the Netherlands or Parliament, the population as a whole would actually have representation in Congress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like burnie i really wish i could have came out but i have been very sick but i dont agree with Gabrielle Hersey here because if i do not like the people running. I can sit out of that vote. That would be my voice. But i do see the point you mean with the ones who just sit back and expect the president to do everything for them. When they dont they get upset. I get that part. But i feel as though not voting could be my voice.

    ReplyDelete