Friday, February 19, 2016

Sleep No More

Recently, I started a new job. I started on Wednesday and was required to get at least 15 hours of work done by Friday at 5pm. The hours I am allowed to work are between 7am and 5pm, while still going to class and rehearsal. With my classes, work, and rehearsals, I have little opportunity to sleep. For example, yesterday I woke up at 5am, in order to get gas before work, worked from 7am to 10am, headed to class, which lasted from 11am to 12pm, got back to work by 1pm to leave at 4pm, had another class from 5pm to 6 pm, and then had rehearsal from 7pm until 11:30pm. I had to wake up this morning at 6am today for work. This issue I have with sleep reminded me of a Doctor Who episode "Sleep No More," in which there is a machine created that allows a person to get 8 hours worth of sleep within minutes. I thought the machine was ridiculous, but now I understand the appeal of such machine. I wonder if we will ever become that technologically advanced to create a machine that shortens our sleep span.
(Sorry about the slight rant. This is really the only thing on my mind right now because I am exhausted physically and mentally.)

5 comments:

  1. Luckily, I don't have class on Thursdays, so I work then. However, I feel your pain. Wednesday's are awful for me. Have class from 9-10, homework 10-12, class 12-3, more homework 3-6, class from 6-9:30. Talk to my family and sleep

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to start out by saying I love Doctor Who. Honestly, I would love for that machine to be real. I would only have to give up a few minutes for sleep and then I could go again. I think college kids in general would benefit from this because of all the work we have to do. Why spend so much time sleeping when you can spend it doing what you need to do, and get it done, and still have time for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also recently started working, so I know the pain of trying to learn the balance of classes, work, and extra things (I'm in the symphonic band and our first concert is tonight). While being crazy busy, we sadly don't sleep enough. But when I really think about it, I know that I waste a lot of my time during the day on my phone or computer doing absolutely nothing productive. After beginning to work, moving dorm rooms, having final rehearsals for our concert, and also having mounds of homework all in the span of about three days, I have had to choose to actually cut out technology as much as possible. It definitely has helped. Stay positive! (We can balance way more than be believe we can, but telling ourselves that we can't makes it highly more difficult to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have it more balanced now because I get to work the hours I planned to work instead of trying to cram 15 hours in 3 days, I get to work 18 hours over 5 days.

      Delete
  4. I would absolutely love this device, humans would be so much more productive if we had to sleep for minutes rather than hours.

    ReplyDelete