Friday, February 12, 2016

Technological Advancements Lowering Our Patience

Nowadays, our technology allows us to find anything within seconds. That's exactly how I found something to write about this week. I went to BBC's website, which loaded in nanoseconds, and read a few articles that loaded just as quickly. But an article I found made me realize how much the speed of our technology is lowering everyone's patience...

There's a new app that is like Uber but for groceries. (http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35424248) People can select the different products they want and have it delivered way quicker than it would take them to go to the store themselves. Now going to the store for food is something everyone has to do, and it is typically done without even thinking much about it. It's just very strange for me to think that people have begun to rely on technology for something so simple as getting their weekly groceries.

The points I'm trying to reach is, how far are people willing to let technology invade their lives? How lazy will technology allow us to get? Do people really think they should be able to order their groceries from an app, have them arrive within ten minutes, and the order to be entirely perfect?

Do you guys think you would ever use this app? (I understand that there are probably some practical purposes with this app, but populations have survived without it since the beginning of time so why do we need it now?) (I also understand that we don't need any technology, but it certainly eases up daily tasks.)

2 comments:

  1. Technology does make people lazy, but in this instance it could make jobs and help people do mindless tasks at a much faster rate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never use the grocery app. I try my very best to keep my reliance on technology to a minimum, and I also try not to be completely lazy because of the availability of technology.

    ReplyDelete