Friday, February 5, 2016

My Thoughts on "Her"

I had seen the film Her many times before we were required to watch it for class, and each time I got something different out of it. The first time I watched the film I almost didn’t finish it because of how strange everything in the movie seemed. I watched it the second time with more of an open mind because I knew I wouldn’t be surprised by anything that time. When I recently watched it for class I was completely blown away by the film. I realized just how beautiful Theodore and Samantha’s relationship was and I noticed a lot more of the smaller details that I had previously missed. While the concept of a relationship with an operating system is still something I get hung up on occasionally, I think the content of their relationship is what really mattered. They were completely happy and in love with each other and that’s all that should matter. 

I was also really impressed with the use of color in the film. It seemed to follow the pattern of their relationship and Theodore's life. For example, the flashbacks of Theodore and his ex-wife were extremely bright, almost blinding, and it made them hard to watch. I noticed when Theodore got upset or seemed depressed the color would fade. Overall, there were a lot of factors in this movie that make it something everyone should see, and the relationship between Theodore and Samantha is just one part of that.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the content of relationships are more than that of the physical. So my question to some of the critics out there is: how is the relationship between Samantha and Theodore any different from a long distance relationship? All the factors that make up a relationship are there. They (Samanta and Theodore) listen to eachother, care about one another, try to make the other feel better when they are sad, and even have their own version of phone "sex". So, theoretically they meet all the requirements that constitute a "real" relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I wasn't the only one that sort of got hung up on the fact that Theodore was in a relationship with an operating system. It was unsettling to me throughout the entire movie, from beginning to end. I also agree with you that their relationship itself was pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete