Friday, February 12, 2016

On the Progression of Cell Phones

I watched an older movie, about two days ago, where one of the background characters had one of those huge, clunky phones. The kind of phone I used to see Zach, from Saved by the Bell, use. I began thinking about how technology today has advanced so rapidly during such a short time period. So, like everyone who wants to know more about something, I turned to Google. I came across this image:



The idea of cell phones has been around for a long time. In the early 1900s Reginald Fessenden made the first wireless telephone call. It wasn’t until 1973 that a man named Martin Cooper and his associates developed the first portable mobile phone. But the idea of the cell phones go further back to Alexander Graham Bell who invented the telephone in 1876, because without the regular, household phone, we’d never want a portable one. Even if we stick with the first portable phone’s date, it’s still crazy to think that, in only forty-three years, we went from that huge, clunky cell phone, to the sleek, black, touchscreen I can slide into my back packet.

Work Cited

Strickland, Johnathan. "Who Invented the Cell Phone?" HowStuffWorks. HowStuffWorks.com.
Web. 12 Feb. 2016.

1 comment:

  1. I also remember the portable phones that had the box that you strap to your waist and a cord connecting to the actual phone. People in old movies looked so funny carrying them around.

    ReplyDelete