Friday, February 12, 2016

LAN Party

Growing up I was quite spoiled when it came to technology. I didn't have to worry about getting off of the computer in order for someone to answer the phone for as long as most people did. I grew up in a tech savvy household. One thing I enjoyed vastly was when my dad had a LAN (local area network) party at our house. One year I even got to join in for a little bit.
LAN parties are when a bunch of PC gamers get together in one house and all join in on multiplayer games, primarily RTSs (real time strategy) or FPSs (first person shooter). LAN parties aren't common because of the amount of bandwidth used during one and the lag that can happen from too many people using the network within one house. My favorite part was seeing the different kind of computers. My dad spends a decent amount of time building new towers, or computers. Each one becomes more extravagant then the last. His current tower lights up and has an amazing cooling system, I believe it is a water cooling system. Many PC gamers develop complex computers in order for the edge it puts on their gaming. Special computer mouses, mice? are made just for making gaming easier. Now they even make keyboards that have the W, A, S, and D keys slightly raised in order to make gaming easier because those are the primary keys for gaming. Computers have developed vastly because of this subculture.

2 comments:

  1. Tried to put in a picture of me at one of our LAN parties, but it wouldn't post for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really interesting! And what would Turkle say about people coming together (physically) to play these games? Tricky stuff!

    ReplyDelete